Jon Kabat-Zinn defines mindfulness as:
Mindfulness is awareness that arises through paying attention, on purpose, in the present moment, non-judgementally,” says Kabat-Zinn. “And then I sometimes add, in the service of self-understanding and wisdom.” — Mindful
It's similar to Mary Oliver's poem, "Sometimes":
Instructions for living a life:
Tell about it.
Trouble is (preparing myself for the brickbats), it's taken on the cloak of another monotheist religion, which (sometimes) denudes it of its meaning.
Actually, even to write about it makes me a hypocrite.
Why can't we just live it in our daily actions, speech and the way we comport ourselves?
If we did, we'd see and experience so much more.
But it wasn't always like this, as some of my posts have tried to elucidate; namely, those that reference the past and the people whose lives we're lived simply and with minimum distraction.
The answer then?
What, to live more mindfully?
It wouldn't hurt to dial down on what we're told we've got to do to be successful. I see this in my kids' education. Even in these depressingly-similar, Covid19 times, if they're not doing something they think something's amiss. I don't hear any of them say, "Today I'm going to have a day of doing absolutely nothing." And mostly, but not quite as frequently as before, they utter those perennial and oft-quoted words: "I'm bored."
With life?( Collapse )
- Mon, 17:11: "Breathing in, I calm body and mind. Breathing out, I smile. Dwelling in the present moment I know this is the only moment." — Thich Nhat Hanh
- Mon, 18:19: All quiet https://t.co/CSzvEgigQY https://t.co/DUYqD9iUoZ
- Tue, 06:00: "...we're constantly waking up to what we're about, what we're really doing in our lives. And the fact is, that's painful. But there's no possibility of freedom without this pain." —Charlotte Joko Beck, Nothing Special
- Tue, 07:00: Mindfulness https://t.co/baFinhc60F / today's little share. https://t.co/TUHD8cZNFz
- Tue, 09:12: Blogging as a forgiving medium - Austin Kleon https://t.co/BWG2OzMZIm https://t.co/9mf8KpH1VX