Life is distraction.
There's a definite sense of lack if we're not doing.
As to noise — front and centre or otherwise — most people (I've ever known) abhor silence. It unsettles them.
I'm not like that.
I see silence as a friend, or at least a place to come home to my true nature.
I'd be lying if I didn't admit to the fact that a lot of people have misunderstood my self-induced silence. They think, and perhaps, sometimes, I am or have been sulking; but the older I get, the more I realise that silence not only settles me, it very quickly radiates and infuses the environs, making things — the big things especially — much easier to address.
I've talked a lot on LJ about my desire to go on Pilgrimage. That's still part of the plan — Covid-19 permitting — and I know a large part of that sojourn is to go deeper into silence. It's not about self-improvement but, instead, a letting go and being comfortable in my own skin.
For the record, I think silence is something that needs developing not only at home but in the workplace. I don't mean the obligatory check-in or the irksome training course but something much deeper. I still remember going to see a Danish company who had soundproofing throughout their building and it made such a difference to the atmosphere, that and the fact that no one shouted or allowed their ego to run wild.
But you know all this, right?( Collapse )
- Fri, 12:31: Asked my 17 year old about @joinClubhouse / she gave me a slightly sideways stare which is code for "ha, you must be kidding". Actually, she didn't have a clue about it. Me neither.
- Fri, 12:35: How many lawyers blog every day - taking a lead from @ThisIsSethsBlog? I'm only aware of one.
- Fri, 13:00: Growing up https://t.co/T3IvnlOF2w https://t.co/KM0SYCH3lJ
- Fri, 14:09: I still have no real idea what net zero means in the context of the world's diminishing resources. Sure, it's worthwhile but replacing one polluting technology with a less polluting one (surely) doesn't ameliorate or help in saving what's left of the planet.
- Fri, 14:29: Now got the choice of @kofi_button or @buymeacoffee for some of the work I'm now starting to do. Feels right: pay what you think it's worth (including �0).
- Fri, 15:18: You'd think with all the advice for lawyers, they might have changed their practice...just a bit, but I suspect, not that I've my hand on the tiller, it's business as very usual.
- Fri, 16:05: I've adopted Patrick's approach. Made such a difference. Thanks my friend. https://t.co/PCxxGrRdHT
- Fri, 16:29: Ready to start my next book: The Pale King by David Foster Wallace.
- Fri, 17:20: I had to look up the films today that were made in 1967 — the year of my birth. One of my favourites was shipped the very same year; namely, Cool Hand Luke "Keep shaking the tree Boss".
- Fri, 17:41: This Government is one of, if not the worst, in living memory. #justsaying