“Sometimes I need
only to stand
wherever I am
to be blessed.”
― Mary Oliver, Evidence: Poems
“Sometimes I need
“Let everything happen to you
Beauty and terror
Just keep going
No feeling is final”
― Rainer Maria Rilke
As if you have a choice.
One day...follows the next and .
Trouble is, and it's perfectly understandable, we want it too much one way, or less the other.
But like Rilke says: "No feeling is final" — and he's right.
Whatever we feel today or the ones to follow, they're never final, fixed, obdurate enough to keep us rooted in a funk or whatever it is that pulls us down (or lifts us up).
To my mind what Rilke is inviting is for us to be like nature. I don't mean to suggest we've no choice but all that positive thinking, journalling and gratitude mantra-inducing eye sparkle is only going to get us so far. You know there's something inalienable about you and when you're feeling low, sometimes, there's not much you can do to break the cycle.
What am I really saying?
We're human, made of flesh and bones and a discombobulated mind and sometimes it's as well to remind ourselves of that and not an unfeeling, somnambulist-inducing robot.
Note: when I say "'we" I mean to refer to my experience but I hope you too can see some resemblance of your shadow self.
"FUJI|||||||||||TA has created a work that operates as a beautiful nexus between the material and immaterial qualities of music. It is a lived-in dreamscape of deep, rich tonality. A remarkable debut."
- Mon, 17:26: Love this: https://t.co/qlBN5dPTXr
- Mon, 17:35: We’re all poets https://t.co/FjOk2q4FVi https://t.co/faWzMNR8Sa
- Tue, 06:00: “When composing a verse let there not be a hair's breath separating your mind from what you write; composition of a poem must be done in an instant, like a woodcutter felling a huge tree or a swordsman leaping at a dangerous enemy.” ― Bashō
- Tue, 06:39: Bonobo - 'Black Sands' https://t.co/8oVhCZ3JFS / listening to this all morning (my early morning). Love it.
- Tue, 07:00: Just keep going https://t.co/vFjsIISDZY / today's little blog post. https://t.co/sLzH93LSdK
- Tue, 08:31: Out with Alfie. Still got a slight limp but defo on the mend. #nofilter https://t.co/thpoutiU0Z
- Tue, 09:22: Night Tracks - Adventures in sound - BBC Sounds https://t.co/M7cI64gaVj / this is so beautiful. https://t.co/4PwFufp0BL
- Tue, 09:27: I wonder how many law firms are in the process of selling off their real estate -- if they can? If not, what are they going to do with all that underutilised space when everyone refuses to return to the office or is mandated to carry on WFH, once we're through the pandemic?
- Tue, 09:46: Keshiki / one for you @andowrites https://t.co/SDGsncMEEy
- Tue, 10:50: Chasing the cool kids https://t.co/O2D7NCosXX https://t.co/IGZFxD3EeW
Another film that has stayed with me all these years.