Coffee poured, silence and a few words to start your day.
“Not just beautiful, though--the stars are like the trees in the forest, alive and breathing. And they're watching me.”
― Haruki Murakami, Kafka on the Shore
“Sometimes I need
only to stand
wherever I am
to be blessed.”
― Mary Oliver
I move more slowly.
I feel more of myself
or at least I'm conscious of parts of my body
— e.g. hips, knees, neck —
that never previously got a sideways glance
less still an appreciation of their solemn, unbidden,
And some things hurt — a lot.
"Ah, tis age me ol' boy."
Of course, it's only going to get worse, unless I'm off my face on morphine or whatever the hell else I can get my hands on.
The thing is, apropos of wisdom, no one talks about this stuff. I mean, you can see it in the eyes, or a stoop or the quiet desperation of dealing with pain but no one wants to fess up and say that with age, even with the best medicines in the world, you're going to be beset with aches and lots of, at times, excruciating pain.
I wonder why that it is?
Perhaps they don't want to spoil the slightly masochistic surprise or there's nothing they could say to ameliorate your daily woes.
Then again, perhaps that's the lot of the human form; to endure.
I don't know.
I do know that taking time to feel your way into the pain, to take things easy and to sit with what's arising isn't just some New-Age prescription, it's absolutely necessary — or, certainly, that's my experience.( Collapse )
- Wed, 13:00: Happiness https://t.co/Y4uPPKdqjJ https://t.co/fCn6nNJnmi
- Wed, 14:47: When you find a mentor, official or otherwise, it really can be life-changing.
- Wed, 15:16: Right back at you Patrick. https://t.co/GMk9Z8mebU
- Wed, 17:04: I've got a great big gaggle of books to read in 2021. Do you have any 'must-read' books for this year?
- Wed, 17:31: In the legal space. I feel such an outlier. It's a wonder I'm still here. and yet...
- Wed, 17:37: Spoke to my dad today (79). I bought him cigars for Xmas. He was touched. Shame he has to smoke them in the garage! Haha. We talked Covid19 and he can't understand the bullshit of the deniers. Me neither. They can all [two words]. Life is bigger than some sh*t conspiracy theory.
- Wed, 19:41: just this ... https://t.co/itK7va4byH
- Thu, 05:52: Good morning. Another brand new day. https://t.co/epfz04dpxp
- Thu, 06:00: “Emptiness which is conceptually liable to be mistaken for sheer nothingness is in fact the reservoir of infinite possibilities.” ― Daisetz Teitaro Suzuki
- Thu, 07:00: Aches and pains https://t.co/12CdBawzD9 / today's little blog offering. https://t.co/pvw6P2Tftk