The awakening to the mystery of life is a revolutionary event; in it an old world is destroyed so that a new and better one may take its place, and all things are affected by the change. We ourselves have become mysterious strangers in our own eyes and tremblingly we ask ourselves who we are, whence we came, whither we are bound. Are we the being who is called by our name, whom we thought we knew so well in the past? Are we the form we see in the mirror, our body, offspring of our parents? Who, then, is it that feels and thinks within us, that wills and struggles, plans and dreams, that can oppose and control this physical body which we thought to be ourselves? We wake up to realize that we have never known ourselves, that we have lived as in a blind dream of ceaseless activity in which there was never a moment of self recollection. —J. J. Van Der Leeuw, The Conquest of Illusion
c. 1300, meninge, "sense, that which is intended to be expressed," also "act of remembering" (a sense now obsolete), verbal noun from mean (v.). Sense of "significance, import" is from 1680s.
Yes, that's it.
An act of remembering, or at least waking up to something more important than the comatose version that wanders around looking for something purposeful to do. And, hopefully, something more important than filling its time with work.
Truly, what does a life of meaning look like?( Collapse )
- Sun, 17:17: There is so much to be grateful for in this life. https://t.co/M9kwWRvuen
- Sun, 17:54: Such a beautiful little film and the message is resonant with my daily practice. https://t.co/rtD2cK9LE1
- Mon, 05:19: Good morning. That time again. https://t.co/XMplu5iSVH
- Mon, 06:00: “So many people walk around with a meaningless life. They seem half-asleep, even when they’re busy doing things they think are important. This is because they’re chasing the wrong things.” — Morrie Schwartz
- Mon, 06:27: Right, where's that dog? "Alfie!!" ❤️❤️ https://t.co/lFiYGvihXt
- Mon, 06:59: Blessed to be here 🌿🙏 https://t.co/40cX6X1VzI
- Mon, 07:09: Finding meaning in our lives https://t.co/9zXnOXzNqK / today's blog offering https://t.co/iKWybRWALa