“A house that does not have one worn, comfy chair in it is soulless.”
― May Sarton
We (now) live in a world where everything needs to be fixed.
The message — 'We Can Do It' — is positively oracular.
And we feed off it to the extent that we're never content or at peace with what we have and what we see, feel and experience.
But look at what it's done for us:
it's created a world of needs and wants, must-haves, and our lens has been skewed to the point where rarely, if ever, do we admit defeat.
The other issue that appears redundant is to question, let alone opine on the root cause of the issue at hand, be that poverty, war or our insatiable desire to consume, at breakneck speed, the world's natural resources. Instead, we offer up a plethora of fixes which create more heat than light.
I've been called (not very often, thankfully) a misanthrope. Perhaps I should acknowledge and accept that there is a part of me that dislikes the humanness that doesn't give a shit about very much. For the record, I'd be lying if I didn't admit to shedding a tear or two at the sight of another mass slaughter of animals, the destruction of a once-pristine forest or another environmental catastrophe all at our hands. As I oft remark: we need nature; nature doesn't need us; and as the early days of Covid19 demonstrated, it's amazing and amazingly resilient if only we'd give it a chance.( Collapse )
- Wed, 19:15: Just this https://t.co/2GKuaxnKp7
- Wed, 19:20: The last song I just shared of the late John Martyn was the song that sums up my relationship with Brian, my late a… https://t.co/kA2vWYNMaW
- Thu, 05:55: “The law of evolution is that the strongest survives!' 'Yes, and the strongest, in the existence of any social spec… https://t.co/2hlpYzST4B
- Thu, 06:08: Poem of the day https://t.co/TVl0VXXCdq
- Thu, 07:11: Brokenness / today's little blog offering https://t.co/K4xxy1KRjx https://t.co/BOvk9MSpi2
- Thu, 09:15: Driving through Totnes this morning I lost count of the number of shops closed or up for sale. I wonder what will b… https://t.co/pdM9acY8ps