“The most important kind of freedom is to be what you really are. You trade in your reality for a role. You trade in your sense for an act. You give up your ability to feel, and in exchange, put on a mask. There can't be any large-scale revolution until there's a personal revolution, on an individual level. It's got to happen inside first.” ― Jim Morrison
“I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.” ― John Muir, John of the Mountains: The Unpublished Journals of John Muir
Walking has been my saviour during the pandemic.
I've been blessed — on so many levels.
But it's hardly new: I've been a walker all my life. In fact, when I look back on my sullen and broken childhood, it's the one thing that kept me sane and out of harm's way.
Isn't that wonderful — on a human level at least?
To think that taking one step after another — in my case, around, mostly, the quiet Devon lanes — has soothed so much of my troubled soul, and allowed me to arrive at a place of grace and forgiveness.
Of course, walking is not for everyone, but I can't think of anything better. And it's free, save the expense of a half-decent coat, a pair of walking shoes and a hat.( Collapse )
- Mon, 12:22: J.S. Bach: Goldberg Variations (Lang Lang and not Gould for a change). Is there anything more perfect? 🎧
- Mon, 13:56: Another line edit and mark up of a contract. Still, 10 pages is about as short as it gets these days.
- Mon, 16:58: Just off for a walk and I'll be listening to my favourite podcast. https://t.co/xJ8CAJhGqR
- Mon, 17:06: Having sorted out my old filing I’m now on to the digital archive. Little and often; it’s going to take several wee… https://t.co/lbdstiqUjL
- Mon, 18:22: Simplifying my online profile is a priority. I've made progress but I've still a way to go.
- Mon, 18:35: @IMcMillan Ian thank you for shining a light on Unclassified on @BBCRadio3 and Night Tracks. They've kept me sane t… https://t.co/BOC6HkjLig
- Mon, 18:40: Do you have a favourite font? I'm back to using Palatino. It's a long story but it reminds me of my love affair of… https://t.co/u5IDFIhc7g
- Mon, 19:00: I wish I'd listened to my first art teacher. She was a lecturer at the University of Cape Town and taught me to dra… https://t.co/vVmgZixJQY
- Mon, 19:10: I can't remember the last time I listened to Radio 4 -- I used to love it. Now, I only listen to @BBCRadio3 through… https://t.co/0BSd1t1Y9C
- Tue, 06:00: “. . . gentleness is stronger than severity, water is stronger than rock, love is stronger than force.” ― Hermann H… https://t.co/SFuxeRqOor