“Prefer to be defeated in the presence of the wise than to excel among fools.”
― Dogen Zenji
“There's a lot of difference between listening and hearing.”
― G. K. Chesterton
I feel better today; I can't say I've licked this virus but I feel about 90% myself and, thankfully, I'm able to drink coffee ☕ again!
This morning I'm off to see my father-in-law, Brian. His health is deteriorating fast; I'm going to spend as much time as I can with him. Right now, I don't feel sad — I know, that sounds awful, but I'm being truthful — but, instead, I'm flooded with memories of all the joyful things we've done together or as a family, with Brian always the centre of attention — and I mean that in a kind, loving and humorous way.
What about listening?
Truth is, I feel the subject, despite being done to death, isn't understood.
There. Said it!
All of us.
Listen to what?
No, not just other people (drop your Covey-speak just for now) but everything.
Everything that's going on in your life — all body, mind and soul.
Is that even possible?
I think so.
But it sounds daft, doesn't it?
listen to your heart — not just its beating but what it's saying to you.
listen to your eyes — what showing you?
listen to your taste — why is food, now, a commodity and not an inspiration for the soul?
listen to your emotions — forget the inner critic and ask yourself what all your bodily sensations are saying to you.
Do you get the idea?
I know, I'm stretching things but listening, really listening, means to awaken to life — all if it.( Collapse )
- Tue, 13:31: Listening to Silence: Why We Must Protect the World’s Quiet Places https://t.co/cn2QYMLXkv https://t.co/nfcWPoZj6e
- Tue, 19:05: Taking a leaf out of out my dear friend @andowrites book, are there any calligraphy lovers on Twitter that I should… https://t.co/HeejECPs0E
- Wed, 06:00: “Life and death are of supreme importance. Time swiftly passes by and opportunity is lost. Each of us should strive… https://t.co/WODmr8YLAf
- Wed, 06:44: Right, off to walk Alfie. Sadly the smell of fox sh*t lingers heavy in the air (y'days walk). I'll take him to rive… https://t.co/tw4QofFGZM
- Wed, 07:15: Listen https://t.co/vSlIaxvDBe / today's little blog offering https://t.co/ccZk0fg9at
- Wed, 07:31: Watch @JuSummerhayes's broadcast: another meditation spot. https://t.co/065NAHSBnZ
- Wed, 07:36: Today's one photo https://t.co/KtFcxZt7kz
- Wed, 09:08: Ando is an amazing person and has so much to offer. If you can help, please do get in touch with her. 🙏 https://t.co/CHw8rQuiHp