“No book is really worth reading at the age of ten which is not equally – and often far more – worth reading at the age of fifty and beyond.”
― C.S. Lewis
I woke up at 3.40 am and got up an hour later. I did try to go back to sleep but no luck.
In case you're wondering, the title for today's post is taken from the first line of Charles Bukowski's memorable poem, The Laughing Heart. For me, the few lines that express life best are:
there is light somewhere.
it may not be much light but
it beats the darkness.
What's your light?
Mine appears to be what I've done these past 10 weeks: writing, drinking coffee ☕, walking, writing poetry and spending time with my wife and youngest daughter (and staying in contact with my other two children).
But that's not entirely accurate; it's too literal, in any event.
The ethereal light is the fact that I've never given up believing that there lies something deeper in my heart than the gut-wrenching, soul-crushing disappointment of working for 40 years with no sense of connection, lest still purpose.
I'm very sanguine about the whole affair.
How else could I be?
Possibly, but those days are over — well and truly.
What's the point in constantly beating myself up in trying to make sense of all my failed choices and the years lost to working for the man, and (not that it's my way) living with a gnarly heap of regrets when the time is already past?
As hackneyed as it sounds, now is now.
I'm here; I'm drinking some wonderful coffee; listening to some great music; and writing.
What more can I ask?
Remember: your life is your life.
The trick?( Collapse )
Today's monologue recorded near Owley Beacon.
- Sat, 13:34: Anyone using @voxer ?
- Sat, 17:44: Kerouac, Burroughs and Ginsberg. What next I wonder?
- Sat, 19:50: Really looking forward to recording tomorrow’s monologue. I’ve got a new microphone for the phone, recommended to m… https://t.co/MiyLQGnGgx
- Sun, 04:18: This Sunday's Quietmusic by @musicinablender https://t.co/DZ7FKXrQN9
- Sun, 04:24: "Letting go gives us freedom, and freedom is the only condition for happiness. If, in our heart, we still cling to… https://t.co/GM3oqXevfI
- Sun, 06:26: This morning's one picture 🌿 https://t.co/72lga8WdHe
- Sun, 07:15: Your life is your life https://t.co/fjgYIy2sHK / today's little blog offering https://t.co/KU9jbsh9TK
- Sun, 08:27: I’ve recorded the monologue but breakfast first for me and Alfie 🐶
- Sun, 10:06: If only I could paint like this or my friend @janhoglund https://t.co/El0KMSNbc2
- Sun, 10:48: Today's monologue recorded on my morning walk. https://t.co/MI48T3cYbz