The most important kind of freedom is to be what you really are. You trade in your reality for a role. You trade in your sense for an act. You give up your ability to feel, and in exchange, put on a mask. There can't be any large-scale revolution until there's a personal revolution, on an individual level. It's got to happen inside first.
― Jim MORRISON
Learning is forever reducing, diminishing, winnowing, because it is animated by wonder, and wonder is the courageous capacity to test and prod the very ground under one’s feet in the name of determining how it all might have come to be as it is, and whether it will continue to bear you. And this is the very ground of divination. It is acute attention to the details of the present. Learning has a hard time accumulating certainty, since wonder is given over so often to contemplating and testing the certainties that have been settled upon. Learning is a willing engagement with impoverishment, with the threadbaredness of what has claimed the attention of the family, the workplace, the sanctuary, the elect, the culture. Stephen Jenkinson, Come of Age: The Case for Elderhood in a Time of Trouble (p. 96)
Good morning from a damp and slightly cool Devon.
I didn't get the best night's sleep, but then it didn't help that his Lordship — aka Alfie — decided he wanted to join me!
Still, I'm here.
Another day of legal mayhem and a few other things.
And that's a blessing, always.
I'm conscious it's Friday and, no doubt, you'll have better things to do than while away the time reading another prolix blog of mine, but if the title is of sufficient interest for you to allow yourself a few precious minutes then you might want to read on. But then again, if you disappear now, well, that's fine too. I won't know anyway 😄.( Collapse )
- Thu, 12:34: sit still. https://t.co/udRJd4fDkM https://t.co/QtY7oAdgXg
- Thu, 15:21: I see lots of advice about the new normal but I rarely see anyone inviting a different question/s to the one/s we'v… https://t.co/wi0ELxweYh
- Thu, 15:41: Having spent many years dealing with conflict (personal and professional), one thing is clear to me: unless we acce… https://t.co/fA69Zp0L7B
- Thu, 17:09: Can anyone recommend a new artist in the ambient space. I think I've run out of choices.
- Thu, 17:12: HT to my friend @StefanPowell. https://t.co/5itSadCa4W
- Thu, 17:22: https://t.co/fcjWR3why2
- Thu, 17:33: I'm starting to reach out to a few people for a chat. I'm so enjoying it. Everyone seems so contemplative of life a… https://t.co/3QJOrKXuqz
- Thu, 17:56: The first verse of tonight's poem "tears". Sorry, it's a bit melancholic but it's all I've got. https://t.co/CQbYSaPjsI
- Thu, 18:15: I feel vulnerable now. And feeling grateful for the life I've lived and what might be ahead. Is that too much?
- Thu, 18:39: #FF ...an early start: @brigidrussell51 @kxgrave2002 @StefanPowell @DrSteveMarshall @MaureenSwannie1 @andowrites… https://t.co/G4b2WxHFaj