“The really important kind of freedom involves attention, and awareness, and discipline, and effort, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them, over and over, in myriad petty little unsexy ways, every day.”
― David Foster Wallace
“What goes on inside is just too fast and huge and all interconnected for words to do more than barely sketch the outlines of at most one tiny little part of it at any given instant.”
― David Foster Wallace, Oblivion
It's 5.24 am as I start this post.
I've nearly finished my first cup of coffee and I'm listening (through my headphones) to Nick Francis' Quietmusic.
As always, today's title has emerged or come to me out the ether. It could have been anything.
Isn't that strange?
Likewise, the above quote — my second of DFW on Livejournal — just appeared via a search of Goodreads.
It's all just words, right?
Don't worry, this isn't a 'pen-is-mightier-than-the-sword' post, but one premised on the fact that we'd do well to consider the import of the words we read, are attracted to, comprehend, inspired by and, most of all, articulate.
Perhaps I should drop the pompous, overbearing 'we' and just say that I should take my message to heart!
You'll have seen me say here and elsewhere that "language is everything". I use quotation marks to give credit to Stephen Jenkinson and his remarkable book, Come of Age: The Case for Elderhood in a Time of Trouble where I first heard them said on the audiobook version.
And for better or worse, I keep circling back to them both in my speech and the written word.( Collapse )
...recorded earlier this morning.
This is view that I talk about, briefly.
- Sat, 12:30: enough. https://t.co/fM4NHYGqdB https://t.co/rSJs9U1YSC
- Sat, 14:40: 📹 My favourite Mary Oliver poem. https://t.co/emHOXS4u2g
- Sat, 17:11: The typewriter is back in working order. A few keys/letters we're sticking but other than that everything works per… https://t.co/3Mhmyi5gHN
- Sat, 18:58: Charles Bukowski on the Ideal Conditions and Myths of Creativity, Illustrated https://t.co/nkBG9hYpCx / you wanna c… https://t.co/WwFfBxh7PJ
- Sun, 06:00: “Routine, repetition, tedium, monotony, ephemeracy, inconsequence, abstraction, disorder, boredom, angst, ennui — t… https://t.co/Vz1siaYxyW
- Sun, 07:28: Today's one picture. Gorgeous day and the light is ...stunning. https://t.co/bgTBh8yyua
- Sun, 07:30: It's just words https://t.co/cfNIFUFYJX / today's little blog offering https://t.co/7iQvRTLrMq
- Sun, 09:21: A weekly reflection (audio) | on Patreon https://t.co/7Pjs0jhgny https://t.co/bKdPmcsXrO
- Sun, 09:36: Jefferson Airplane - Comin' Back To Me https://t.co/oCuFBPM8Hf / I thought of you @StefanPowell / let me know what… https://t.co/50DRNVf1bB
- Sun, 11:14: I’ve been following #beatpoetry on @instagram. It reminds me how much poetry ground I’ve still to cover of Ginsberg… https://t.co/XcUDMXiHKv