"Extinguish my eyes, I'll go on seeing you.
Seal my ears, I'll go on hearing you.
And without feet I can make my way to you,
without a mouth I can swear your name.
Break off my arms, I'll take hold of you
with my heart as with a hand.
Stop my heart, and my brain will start to beat.
And if you consume my brain with fire,
I'll feel you burn in every drop of my blood."
— Rainer Maria Rilke
In self-inquiry circles, this is normally the jumping-off point:
Who am I?
Speaking personally, though, I never stopped to ask that question until I was given a not-very-gentle reminder that I was mortal!
And I went deep — very deep.
I really couldn't say, absent all the bloody labels, who I was at the deepest, most profound level.
For a while (quite some time, actually), I was ensnared in a trap of my own making: it felt the harder I pursued the question, the less I knew and that was (let's just say) .
There wasn't an ah-ha moment — i.e. my moment of liberation 🤣 — but it slowly dawned on me, much like the Zen practice of using koans to unlock the left-brain, thinking self, that there wasn't meant to be a discrete answer.
Or at least that's my interpretation of where I now find myself; namely, I'm no more and no less part of everything I experience and trying to put a label on my I-amness is much like what Alan Watts said:
“Trying to define yourself is like trying to bite your own teeth.”( Collapse )
- Wed, 14:21: Alfie is sleeping. I realise now, being at home with him and not at the office, how much (just like a cat) he sleep… https://t.co/ybhNKGvXI7
- Wed, 17:52: I've watched very little TV over the lockdown. A bit on iPlayer, nothing on Netflix & a few videos on YouTube. The… https://t.co/hI8HmO7SQI
- Wed, 19:11: Sparks - This Town Ain't Big Enough For Both Of Us https://t.co/zQTesrSwbh / I had all their singles at one time and threw them out. Duh.
- Wed, 19:16: Right about now the music starts up. Joy Division right now.
- Wed, 20:01: I’ve shared this Charles Bukowski interview dozens of times but it is required viewing if you’re struggling with wr… https://t.co/yVrfjTvcZP
- Thu, 05:00: It's my #Twitterversary! I have been on Twitter for 10 years, since 28 May 2010 (via @twi_age).
- Thu, 05:57: "Always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.” -- e.e.cummings https://t.co/2LEacsXgcW
- Thu, 07:20: Who am I? https://t.co/i2JIjcycXE / today's little blog offering https://t.co/GNV5vDpERb
- Thu, 07:48: Today's one picture. A favourite swimming spot. https://t.co/tWnZRnzu1q
- Thu, 08:57: One day... https://t.co/C0iHB7nNNS