“You mustn’t wish for another life. You mustn’t want to be somebody else. What you must do is this:
Pray without ceasing.
In everything give thanks.”
I am not all the way capable of so much, but those are the right instructions.”
― Wendell Berry, Hannah Coulter
“I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”
― Maya Angelou
Perhaps the rubric should read: 'Meaning-full conversation'.
I'll leave you to decide.
But one thing I'm certain of — from first-hand experience — is the dearth of deep, reverent and (often) important conversations.
Of course, it could be me.
No, no. It is me!
Very few people want to engage in anything other than superficial, often banal conversation for fear of getting into a heated debate or, worse still, a drag-down, vitriolic argument.
I see that.
I honestly do.
In fact, it's happened too many times where I've been so passionate to persuade the other person of something meaningful I've not bothered:
a) to listen to them;
b) to shut up on cue; and
c) I've raised my voice and used profanity, thinking I might make myself heard.
It got me nowhere.
How stupid, eh!
Perhaps I'm learning the hard way that to have a meaningful conversation requires not just empathy but deep grace, love and affection not only for the other person but for my own delicate soul.
Yes, that's in the mix as well — my soul.
I need to listen to what it's trying to tell me, which means keeping quiet and not always being troubled out loud.
Put it this way. There isn't a day that goes by where I don't wake up with some burning issue attacking my senses. Yesterday, it was the absence of faith; heaven knows what it will be today.( Collapse )
- Sat, 12:13: Today's one photo. https://t.co/dO3fdVNmK2
- Sat, 16:32: Life is so fleeting. So transient. That being so, why wait to do the one thing you feel compelled, overwhelmed to d… https://t.co/FeFNWMgtf9
- Sat, 16:54: Getting psyched for some writing 😆 https://t.co/z6mRpBLYDZ
- Sat, 17:30: Listening to Eddi Reader and thinking of all the beautiful souls no longer with us. Feeling blessed, held and deeply loved.
- Sun, 05:43: Quietmusic https://t.co/AHCeTDZH6W https://t.co/2bN9eAJGGK
- Sun, 06:00: “We’re in such a hurry most of the time we never get much chance to talk. The result is a kind of endless day-to-da… https://t.co/pEKDC2vtcn
- Sun, 07:20: Meaningful conversation https://t.co/4popMelRhW / today's little blog https://t.co/TCzhgQEPVm
- Sun, 07:54: Today's one picture. Needless to say Alfie went swimming 😂. https://t.co/SUOn7r1WXN
- Sun, 09:12: Monologue recorded to be shared a bit later. It was recorded on this morning's walk.
- Sun, 09:48: The sun is rising | today's short monologue on Patreon https://t.co/UJHff59GzO https://t.co/rPzKvE7dms
...cutting through the spiritual bullshit.