“For a few minutes I tried to empty my mind entirely, to concentrate solely on breathing: sometimes it’s useful to rediscover simpler pleasures of life.”
― Romain Gary
It's Friday — although I no longer know what that means — and I'm here again, writing that is.
You'll excuse the tendentious title but it's been appearing a lot over the past week.
Of course, prima facie it all matters.
Or does it?
What matters most to you?
The life of others?
Or something else?
Are you living your life that way? First things first and all that malarky.
The thing is, even before Covid19 reared its ugly head, I was struck by how little we cared about certain things — e.g. the earth, animals and in some cases our mental wellbeing. And save for the latter, which I'm sure is a big issue right now, I'm not sure we've changed our mindset. If anything, the 'we-don't-give-a-shit' modus operandi has returned or will return in abundance. Terribly judgmental I know, but I'm simply reporting in on what I've seen, heard and read. Put it this way, most people want to return to business as usual, and we know where, in time, that will leave us.
In anticipation of the brickbats, I'm not resiling from that last statement because, let's face it, we've been on the take from nature et al. for way too long and it can't have come as any real surprise that living cheek by jowl with some of her more egregious tendencies is at least partly to blame for the spread of such a pernicious and successful (qua its host) virus.
Let's back up a bit though.
Who are we?
Our thoughts, feelings, emotions, senses and a bushel of stories?
What, when everything is changing?( Collapse )
- Thu, 13:55: Making small changes to my website including the inclusion of a page called 'essays' (instead of 'blog'). The start of a new direction.
- Thu, 15:29: I wish I knew more about Wordpress and database issues. Never mind, the website is now up to date; but still (like… https://t.co/PlOSB2otsp
- Thu, 16:46: Listen to Stephen Jenkinson on the Corona Crisis - Campfire Stories Interview with Mattias Olson by Orphan Wisdom… https://t.co/VDsXEpbu2A
- Thu, 17:00: Essays and audio https://t.co/Rl4rw9oDsU / an update on my new direction https://t.co/SJCqzLBPjy
- Thu, 18:22: In my work, such that it is, I'm no longer interested in solutions but framing and then articulating the question.… https://t.co/RTpogjiuDv
- Thu, 18:33: Tonight’s music as I settle in for another round of contemplative mayhem on the Brother typewriter. https://t.co/9nndMhMZU2
- Thu, 18:50: Do you have a favourite writer, dead or alive? I keep finding writers where I think "holy sh*t", why haven't I read… https://t.co/qqB5X0yO8c
- Thu, 18:51: I love this. Seeing someone else in love with a favourite picture of mine (Francis Bacon) brought me close to tears. https://t.co/CHphRl8DxJ
- Thu, 18:55: I miss my Jack Russell, Fidget. Alfie is loving and great fun but Fidg had a spirit that was unmatched, meaning she… https://t.co/XqOF8iWTaM
- Thu, 19:15: I'm trying to buy an electronic typewriter. Much harder than I thought.