“The Road Not Taken
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveller, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;
Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,
And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less travelled by,
And that has made all the difference.”
― Robert Frost
“Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time.”
― Thomas Merton , No Man Is an Island
One day (perhaps), I might be able to call myself an artist.
I don't know.
Labels? Sometimes I feel completely done with them. Over. Finito.
Better still. Let the work speak — however it shows up and whatever it looks like.
And to be clear, this isn't replacing work — i.e. the thing we least want to do — with another money-making, ego-fest.
What do I mean?
Well, as Alan Watts so beautifully put it:
"If money was no object what would you do [with your life]?
In putting this out there, I stand ready for the brickbats for two reasons: (1) I'm not walking my talk; and (2) I've meekly said this before and then...done sweet f*ck all — which of course circles back to point 1.
I'm not going to say this time it's different. It's not. Sure the fire has been lit, and I'm stoking it daily (this blog is, I hope, evidence of that) but to quote Bukowski yet again, I'm not and never have gone all the way.
What does that even mean?
To starve for my putative art?
To jack in my job and devout all my massive energy (... it's dwindling fast) to the task at hand, namely, creating a body of work that I can make a living from?
That would be a start.
Or...carry on as I am and see where the road less travelled takes me?( Collapse )
- Tue, 12:08: “Be really nice to people. Most are trying their best.” - culturaloffering: As usual, Nicholas Bate has your best l… https://t.co/KubhmanB5h
- Tue, 17:53: I so love John Butler 🙏☀️🌳🍂 https://t.co/l6XmYoOYQe
- Tue, 18:24: Back at the typewriter. Feeling blessed tonight ❤️.
- Wed, 06:00: “To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best day and night to make you like everybody else means t… https://t.co/8UVmN4LrZ6
- Wed, 06:47: Today's picture out on my walk with the hound https://t.co/nYeaq5aExh
- Wed, 07:30: I am an artist https://t.co/uX3cWOPxbB / today's blog https://t.co/B9rmfFqwkV
- Wed, 11:57: Taking a daily break from the computer to read has been something that I'll be slow to give up.