“The tides are in our veins, we still mirror the stars, life is your child, but there is in me
Older and harder than life and more impartial, the eye that watched before there was an ocean.”
― Robinson Jeffers
“Intelligence is dangerous. Intelligence means you will start thinking on your own; you will start looking around on your own. You will not believe in the scriptures; you will believe only in your own experience.”
Sorry for the slightly contentious title but what is real?
And everything in between?
To my mind, it's not an easy question, particularly given the way the mind concretises everything.
But then again, we're pattern makers and creatures who need a path to navigate.
If you dare, go back to when you born. You can't remember those first few glistening hours, but you'll perhaps appreciate the experience if you've ever been around a newborn. Everything appears to be a moving, shifting experience. Or you can only imagine that it might be. There is no duality — or that's what I believe. Only later, when names are suffused with identity, do they start to understand praise, reward, love, pain and anger — and everything else that starts to build a human persona. Of course, if you come from a non-English speaking part of the world, your labels are very different to mine and vice versa. Imagine if someone wanted to be mischievous and gave us the wrong labels. Oh, dear...we'd be in trouble then.
And my point: do the labels describe the thing?
I don't think so.
In fact, J. Krishnamurti said as much:
“The day you teach the child the name of the bird, the child will never see that bird again.”
You might ask what any of this has to do with real life?( Collapse )
- Wed, 12:44: Not that I spend much time speaking to lawyers but my sense is that there's huge uncertainty now about the future o… https://t.co/U91bKUNbyl
- Wed, 13:00: our wildest dreams https://t.co/ElVO9nRy4J https://t.co/pThrmb9n45
- Wed, 17:49: Get back to where you once belong...This damn song is chasing me all over the place today. https://t.co/7z8tflHhMx
- Wed, 17:58: I'm loving being back on Tumblr and recording a daily poem. Long may it continue.
- Wed, 17:59: Tonight's reading. Have you read it @chrisnicholsT2i @DrSteveMarshall @differentspace1 ? https://t.co/9Rb3CdO3LC
- Wed, 19:02: Tonight's music. https://t.co/gPwClG2adi
- Wed, 19:33: This is everything right now: "Die before you die and find that there is no death." — Eckhart Tolle
- Wed, 20:06: I cry at the loss of my uncle Adrian. The most spirited person in my life. Listening to Joni Mitchell Both Sides No… https://t.co/qciI7ovhLp
- Wed, 20:33: Why does poetry reveal so much of me?
- Thu, 06:13: “The tides are in our veins, we still mirror the stars, life is your child, but there is in me Older and harder tha… https://t.co/zINpnPSEqW