“A path is only a path, and there is no affront, to oneself or to others, in dropping it if that is what your heart tells you . . . Look at every path closely and deliberately. Try it as many times as you think necessary. Then ask yourself alone, one question . . . Does this path have a heart? If it does, the path is good; if it doesn't it is of no use.”
― Carlos Castaneda
"When we are labouring up another counterintuitive, habit-violating semantic or phenomenological incline, dragging the ten ton stone of what passes for sanity in the West up the hill of habit and into the light of courteous inquiry where it belongs, I often offer this cool comfort: the language will not fail you. Think about how you think, I tell them, and talk about how you talk, and patient attention to the means by which you think and talk—the language—will serve you and the world you are desperate to care for. The language will not let you down." — Stephen Jenkinson, Come of Age: The Case for Elderhood in a Time of Trouble (p. 49)
Good morning from my little office in Devon.
It's the same routine as last week — and that's a good thing, right!
The light (always the light...) is drifting through my wooden blinds, and the birds are just about to unleash their fury — aka the dawn chorus — on the day.
It's no accident that I've once again prayed in aid Jenkinson's ode to language. It's positively (to me at least — always to me: who else?) oracular.
It circles...and it circles...and it circles some more.
And I see it now in everything I read and write.
Think about it.
Or rather think about your own thoughts, what you say, what you write and then look out across the world and apply the same measure of sanctity.
"The language will not fail you."( Collapse )
- Sun, 14:40: 📹 John Martyn - Sing A Song Of Summer.wmv I’ve got this song going around my head right now. https://t.co/3PTqYHdAyC
- Sun, 15:15: Edward Abbey: A Voice in the Wilderness https://t.co/uRYcyeMIq1 https://t.co/Dt5gnHtt2X
- Sun, 15:41: Watching a film on the late Edward Abbey, which is fascinating. So far ahead of his time? I’ve now got to find a 2n… https://t.co/wh94HZqZK1
- Sun, 15:47: RT @DrSteveMarshall: And. Breathe. #photo https://t.co/qDrMkVg7Pr
- Sun, 18:11: Tonight's poetry - reading not typing. One of Bukowski's finest and includes the slightly overpowering poem, Dinosa… https://t.co/dxxwpDXpqC
- Mon, 06:00: “In Silence there is eloquence. Stop weaving and see how the pattern improves.” ― Rumi https://t.co/h9c6K3HS1k
- Mon, 07:00: Today's picture looking out across the village. https://t.co/juq1e95TkE
- Mon, 07:30: The language will not fail you https://t.co/DshupHL79H / today's blog offering https://t.co/F0UmkyOhNF
- Mon, 07:39: Me too Marc 🙏 https://t.co/1BdjdjpUwu
- Mon, 08:41: The @Riverford box has arrived. Rainbow carrots 🥕this week - my absolute fav veg 🙏.
A little vignette on trying to juggle work and...well...mostly writing.