Sadly, I can't embed the Mixcloud player — some problem with HTML — so here's the link.
“The Peace of Wild Things
When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children’s lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.”
― Wendell Berry, The Selected Poems of Wendell Berry
“How I go to the woods
Ordinarily, I go to the woods alone, with not a single
friend, for they are all smilers and talkers and therefore
I don’t really want to be witnessed talking to the catbirds
or hugging the old black oak tree. I have my way of
praying, as you no doubt have yours.
Besides, when I am alone I can become invisible. I can sit
on the top of a dune as motionless as an uprise of weeds,
until the foxes run by unconcerned. I can hear the almost
unhearable sound of the roses singing.
If you have ever gone to the woods with me, I must love
you very much.”
― Mary Oliver, Swan: Poems and Prose Poems
It's early — real early for a Sunday. I'm in the groove again — lucky ol' me, eh!
The coffee is poured. Sadly, it's not my normal brew but it's OK for now.
And I've got some nice music playing through my headphones — the ones they gave me from work with brilliant noise cancellation.
What could be more perfect?
Well actually, and I know I'm truly blessed, my walk in and with nature, which routinely happens at around 7 am or sometimes a bit earlier, depending on how much time I spend online and then stretching and exercising in the lounge.
I'll say it again. . In fact, I'm lucky as hell; but then again, I did make the choice to move to Devon in August 1992. I could have stayed in London working but it didn't feel right on so many levels. (I'm not sure it ever did.)
I suppose then, at heart, I'm a country bumpkin.( Collapse )
- Sat, 14:29: BBC Radio 3 - Slow Radio, Meditations from a Monastery, Silence https://t.co/k8JJaC6TXB
- Sat, 17:03: Do any of my Devon contacts know if there are any virtual church services being held tomorrow? If not Devon, where else perhaps?
- Sun, 06:00: “The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing that stands in the way. Some… https://t.co/IEUh4awxxJ
- Sun, 06:57: Today’s one picture. The light is cool this morning — if that makes sense. https://t.co/zlbd0nudlX
- Sun, 07:30: My superpower https://t.co/dBGrM1a1Ku // today's little blog offering https://t.co/D7OhGhjNSP
- Sun, 09:28: This morning's playlist https://t.co/FWIoSP9mX0
- Sun, 10:10: Letter writing | on @Patreon https://t.co/zWOtBKVZma https://t.co/RFOBRYQ0ih