“A day spent without the sight or sound of beauty, the contemplation of mystery, or the search of truth is a poverty-stricken day; and a succession of such days is fatal to human life.”
― Lewis Mumford
I was up again before 5 am. I did, thankfully, enjoy a reasonable night's sleep.
The coffee is feeling extra mellow this morning, and much needed. I only drink two cups a day and savour each one as if it might be my last. Seriously.
Yesterday, I had the great pleasure to sit and listen to John Butler's live broadcast of his silent meditation. No, that's not a mistake: if you listened carefully there was a cacophony of birds in the background who refused to be drowned out by the picture of John in a field leaning on his walking stick. For me, it was a much-needed antidote to all the out-and-front and very loud content that's suddenly appeared online.
Why I wonder don't we embrace silence?
Are we scared to be with our thoughts?
Have we been pre-programmed in some way to avoid its presence?
Perhaps it doesn't have to have a reason. My silence is mine — however it shows up — and yours, is equally yours.
Should we make it a practice?( Collapse )
- Fri, 19:23: Me and Floz (daughter #3) came upon a green burial site today with a simple oak cross. She couldn’t quite take it i… https://t.co/aXEnvS6xsF
- Fri, 19:30: We so need Bonhoeffer’s words right now. Blessings to you all. https://t.co/BWz8o8UCzS
- Sat, 05:41: The coffee is feeling extra needed today. I'm not sure what woke me so early but the dawn chorus (it's still dark,… https://t.co/UQeucsjhzt
- Sat, 06:00: “A day spent without the sight or sound of beauty, the contemplation of mystery, or the search of truth is a povert… https://t.co/Tgjf1pLqyS
- Sat, 07:12: #onephotoaday an early start. the light was quite different. an unexpected surprise. https://t.co/14epNsgSH6
- Sat, 07:30: All quiet https://t.co/ANX6OMQIQ1 // today's little blog offering https://t.co/Q6ejEeuz2I
- Sat, 09:13: This morning’s music https://t.co/gp7JI0tgbK