Same routine as yesterday.
Anyhow, the title.
I've taken it from John Lane's wonderful book. I read it over a decade ago, and have added it to the increasing pile of books that I shall read during this prolonged period of isolation.
I'm sure there's a reason why this sort of message is circling around again. It's positively oracular.
And that is?
We need very little to be happy.
In fact, it's the simple things, at least to me, that bring us greatest joy:
a cup of coffee
writing by hand
digging the garden
making something useful
going back to things we enjoyed as kids.
At least one of the questions worth asking is: why has it taken covid19 to reveal some or all of our (previously) questionable ways?
What, we've got more time on our hands?
I don't know.
I do know that there is, as the rubric indicates, something 'timeless' about keeping it simple, and we shouldn't be afraid to hold anything and everything up to the light because...we may never get another chance again.
Of course, you might already lead a very simple life and find all this sudden lurch to doing something useful (for a change) quite laughable; I wouldn't blame you. But the trick for the rest of us is to stay with the feeling we're starting to get back from (inter alia) using our hands, making things and, most of all, being present.
Yes, that's it.( Collapse )
I'm just back(ish) from my walk with Alfie.
I was seriously overdressed.
What was I thinking?
- Wed, 15:42: @SchumacherColl thank you for sharing Jon Young's talk. Much needed right now 🙏.
- Wed, 17:03: My fingers are in pieces, hence the tape. https://t.co/vgyJrZJkIO
- Wed, 18:15: Thankfulness https://t.co/fQOGvBezSL by John Butler someone who I find deeply inspiring.
- Wed, 18:21: I love how much energy and effort @BootstrapCook invests in dealing with the huge number of queries about how to ge… https://t.co/75bXSaWq42
- Wed, 18:27: I just saw a Jenny Wren drink from our granite sink in the garden. S/he was so tiny but, blimey, they're feisty little things.
- Wed, 18:51: Bukowski or Jay-Z ? Music tonight.
- Wed, 20:09: Daughter #3 has a YouTube channel for her singing. Small steps. I'll make sure to ask her though before I share any of her amazing singing.
- Thu, 06:05: “...everything made by man's hands has a form, which must be either beautiful or ugly; beautiful if it is in accord… https://t.co/Tnbe4kcah1
- Thu, 07:23: That time again #onephotoaday https://t.co/5wBuH9MBJs
- Thu, 07:30: Timeless simplicity https://t.co/0LcG3fhOeu // today's blog https://t.co/RfvKlMchRr