“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. I did not wish to live what was not life, living is so dear; nor did I wish to practise resignation, unless it was quite necessary. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, to live so sturdily and Spartan-like as to put to rout all that was not life, to cut a broad swath and shave close, to drive life into a corner, and reduce it to its lowest terms...”
― Henry David Thoreau
“Craftsmanship means dwelling on a task for a long time and going deeply into it, because you want to get it right.”
― Matthew B. Crawford, Shop Class as Soulcraft: An Inquiry Into the Value of Work
I had, just for a change, a good night's sleep. I needed it.
I was up, though, well before my alarm went off — 5 am — and did my obligatory press-ups and sit-ups. I can't yet call it a routine but, absent the gym, I'm trying to spend part of my day doing some exercise and stretching. I find it wonderful that I still do the same stretching routine that I started over 40 years ago when I first started Karate (Shotokan).
I've drunk my obligatory cup of coffee* from my slightly naff, Peaky Blinders mug that one of the kids gave me for Christmas and I'm listening to the haunting track below from another new artist on Bandcamp.
I'm not sure if I told you that I've stopped all music subscriptions and am now, mostly listening via the platform, sticking to ambient music. Of course, for those people who use or like the platform, if there's something I should be checking out, do send me a link or, indeed, from elsewhere.( Collapse )
...by the excellent team at Blackstone Chambers (this relates to the UK only).
- Tue, 14:03: Somewhere nearby, I can hear a few kids playing — mostly screaming at the tops of their voices and just laughing. I… https://t.co/LexfO7i9Ny
- Wed, 06:00: “Our life is frittered away by detail. Simplify, simplify.” ― Henry David Thoreau, Walden and Other Writings https://t.co/YjEfpy2VZ5
- Wed, 07:26: Showing off again. He very rarely sits this still. #onephotoaday https://t.co/D0SCLIE1DR
- Wed, 07:30: Today's blog offering // Working with our hands https://t.co/dJ9iTlbXfR https://t.co/f3Y98Fwr9l
- Wed, 08:03: RT @PerryTimms: I just published #normal? https://t.co/7MJxvpQeoL What's normal now anyway?
- Wed, 10:03: @PerryTimms great piece today. I've left a little comment; I hope you don't mind. #normal
- Wed, 10:24: Prayer for the Earth: An Indigenous Response to These Times https://t.co/N8NTz7N8bh