"Isn't it the moment of most profound doubt that gives birth to new certainties? Perhaps hopelessness is the very soil that nourishes human hope; perhaps one could never find sense in life without first experiencing its absurdity." - Vaclav Havel
"My life is a perfect graveyard of buried hopes." — L.M. Montgomery
Right now, we're all wishing this Covid19 thing were over.
It's getting in the way of living, right?
I get it. Honestly, I do.
I understand why, if you were only just holding on by the tips of your fingernails, this pandemic is more than enough to, well, send you to a very dark place.
Of course, for those housebound and without a job or any income, that sounds churlish but what I mean to say is that if things weren't hard enough, then (no sh*t Ju) they've just got very much harder.
In case you hadn't noticed, there's no shortage of well-meaning advice telling us what we should do with our hours and days of confinement, but I can't help feeling it's merely a distraction from asking ourselves a more profound question.
And that is?
What does it mean to be human?
If the last Century and a bit is anything to go by, (and sorry for being so blunt) it means having what we want when we want it. Yes, not for the first time, I'm taking a tilt at our consumption-led, hedonistic society.
P*ss off, I hear you say. There you sit in your little office, dolling out advice: what do you know about my life?
And what? Does that mean I should sit idly and/or quietly by saying diddly squat?
Possibly, but having exposed myself over the years to a few slings and arrows and inherited a few deleterious scars, I'm not about to shut up shop; not just yet anyhow.( Collapse )
- Thu, 15:43: I can't keep up with the volume of material that's now being shared online. I wonder how much of it is being wasted… https://t.co/uVIFlvwcY2
- Thu, 17:31: Watching In Mackenzie's brilliant film on Stephen Jenkinson and Gregory Hoskins on their Lost Nation Road Tour. https://t.co/ZQCzxZ8aUY
- Thu, 17:41: Hearing from my wife — a nurse — about the front line puts everything into perspective. Treasure what you have. Tak… https://t.co/aQbwby4OVG
- Fri, 06:00: "I suspect the most we can hope for, and it's no small hope, is that we never give up, that we never stop giving ou… https://t.co/Z9SmCv3yfl
- Fri, 06:47: Listening to the wonderful podcast of @michaelnobbs. His gentle approach to life is just what I need right now. Thank you, Michael.
- Fri, 07:30: An open heart https://t.co/o6HIUOUQlM / today's blog offering https://t.co/BxpqoqPJNm
- Fri, 09:54: Listen to #134 | Elderhood: Coming Of Age In Troubled Times w/ Stephen Jenkinson by Last Born In The Wilderness on… https://t.co/geGExFNXB2
- Fri, 11:30: OMG. Daughter #3 is hoovering her bedroom. She's either incredibly bored or has a sinister plan related to her onli… https://t.co/qqgafUps45