“Patience never wants Wonder to enter the house: because Wonder is a wretched guest. It uses all of you but is not careful with what is most fragile or irreplaceable. If it breaks you, it shrugs and moves on. Without asking, Wonder often brings along dubious friends: doubt, jealousy, greed. Together they take over; rearrange the furniture in every one of your rooms for their own comfort. They speak odd languages but make no attempt to translate for you. They cook strange meals in your heart that leave odd tastes and smells. When they finally go are you happy or miserable? Patience is always left holding the broom.”
― Jonathan Carroll, White Apples
I survived my first week of working from home, even without coffee.
But of course, I was never worried that I wouldn't quickly adapt, again.
Hell, much like riding a bike, once you've done it for six years, hoping back on a conference call, even with 11 people, is no big deal.
Have I learnt anything?
I working in an office.
That's a bit strong, Ju.
I don't care. Oh sure, I don't get to meet my colleagues but it's not like we're best pals, and in any event, and I hope they don't take offence, it's not like we even show up as true self. It's a pretence; and I'm as guilty as the next person. Even the occasional lunchtime walk couldn't or hasn't dispelled the fact that we're all playing a vacuous game that I know only too well. I still remember that sense of relief — and I mean it went to the root of my very soul — the day I didn't have to show up in a law office, suited and booted and playing one shell game after another. Even the ritualistic "Good morning, how are you?" had become a facade, particularly when I wanted to blurt out (too often for my own liking) "I f* hate this place".
Still, that's all behind me now, and I've managed, by dint of what I don't know (fear is definitely in the mix!), to adapt to a life of in-house lawyering without going completely off the rails.( Collapse )
- Fri, 12:19: Calm also has a coefficient https://t.co/u5NwIO7GNI / yes, yes, yes. https://t.co/bwzRa3Eghy
- Fri, 12:28: My pleasure David. And thank you for the opportunity. https://t.co/9cLjeXpXMw
- Fri, 13:32: Martin Shaw https://t.co/vCmAeeyIWj
- Fri, 14:31: Another conference call. Patience is the key word.
- Fri, 16:55: Daughter #3 cooking tea -- vegan curry. Amazing, without saying anything, how she's trying to use all the storecupb… https://t.co/KvE4eGX4Lu
- Fri, 17:00: My first bike. The picture is taken at the back of my parents' first flat in Paignton -- c. 1970. Sadly, the blond… https://t.co/tb1gRzkZJb
- Fri, 17:12: Listening to Boris *sighs*. As far removed from Churchill as is possible. Trust me, I've got all WWII speeches and… https://t.co/MNOZAqgmyX
- Fri, 17:16: Go @RishiSunak.
- Fri, 19:22: Humans are such a resourceful lot ❤️.
- Sat, 07:02: “Never be in a hurry; do everything quietly and in a calm spirit. Do not lose your inner peace for anything whatsoe… https://t.co/wTH3RRwc0B